Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gotta Be Resourceful

I'm between assignments at work. Translation: no $ coming in right now. So when my tiller handle broke, the $200.00 price tag for a new laminated one was not a good option. Instead, I went to the hardware store and got a hickory handle for $12.00. Put some marine varnish on it, and it looks pretty good. Works even better. My handrails and toe rails had been sanded so many times that I feared one more sanding would sand them in two. I priced some teak, but it was expensive. And using it depletes the rainforest. So I cut some new rails out of oak (cost about $12.00), put marine varnish on them, and am in the process of making covers for them out of Sunbrella. They look good. One of my friends who claims to know all things wood is skeptical that they'll hold up for long, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment